Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
In-Reply-To:
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
7bit
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
 Lactnet Friends,

I wonder what a discussion related to what types of support are demonstrated as most beneficial for breastfeeding pairs in terms of breastfeeding promotion, initiation and duration might look like?

What I mean by this is the development of various credentials should always be made with the consumers needs as the highest priority. What do the families we serve need? And what type of training is necessary to safely, appropriately, and competently provide these services?

That's what should drive the development of credentials, the consumers needs. The education, practice and training requirements to earn any credential should be put in place in order to insure the consumer receives care from a helper who possesses a minimum level of competence. The credential exists to protect the consumer. 

Speaking for myself, in the US there is an abundant amount of evidence that mothers, particularly lower income, minority women,? whom initiate and sustain breastfeeding at a lower rate, will initiate breastfeeding and breastfeed for longer duration when they are the recipient of the support provided by a trained breastfeeding peer counselor. Who better than the IBLCE to determine a minimum level of competence for breastfeeding counselors? It has already been established that most IBCLC's are not often providing the same type of support as a breastfeeding counselor (not claiming IBCLC's are not capable of this, and I'm sure some do so), since there exists delineation of services, it seems prudent to develop a standard for minimum training and competence. 

I'd love to see the focus of discussion centered around the needs of the families we serve, and how to most optimally address those needs. Once that has been well established discussion surrounding the necessary training, and experience to demonstrate competence in the job tasks that meets our clients needs would naturally follow, as well as exploring promotion of the services of the skilled helpers, and establishing reimbursement strategies etc. 

Please no flames!! :)

Michelle H. Kinne ICCE CD(DONA) CLE
www.DoulaDiva.org

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2