Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 09:37:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
When I was doing my literature search for my research class (I did a presentation on skin to skin care post birth), I found a study showing that in one of the countries on the African continent when they started routine bathing for prevention of HIV transmission to the newborn, that they had temperature issues in the newborns - even in a warm, non-air-conditioned climate.  I'd have to look this up again, but I think the recommendation was to delay bathing until temperature stability was attained and after first breastfeedings.  The routine bathing was not just for HIV moms but all moms.  It's interesting to me how routines designed to lower risks to small populations get extrapolated to the general population and in order to avoid having to discern WHICH population is at risk and to avoid missing the smaller population, we treat everyone the same.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Boisvert Mackenzie
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2009 7:00 AM
Subject: newborn bathing

How about turning it around and looking at literature that supports skin to skin, that mother's body is warmest place in the room, that babies who have skin to skin regulate breathing and heart beat better than any other scenario, that the waxy creamy substance on the babies skin (vernix) is beneficial, that it needs to be rubbed into the folds of the skin and that removing the baby from mother's body interrupts bonding.   That as little as 15 minutes away from the mother at birth is harmful to the baby.
The perinatal psychology folks have much literature on the benefits of contact and the harm of separation immediately following birth.
Warmly,
Lisa Boisvert Mackenzie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2