Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 2009 09:46:59 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hi Ann,
  I've been through 2 pregnancies with Hasimoto's and my levels went up and then down postpartum as well.  It was explained to me that you need higher levels during pregnancy but they are supposed to drop after birth. With Hashimoto's, the levels often stay high for a few months and then come back to pre-pregnancy state.  I didn't have any supply issues, but I did have 2 periods both times, but then not again for 2+ years.
  My endocrinologist also won't retest until I've been at a new dose for 2 -3 months.  He says it takes that long for the levels to stabilize.  All the time you're supplementing with synthetic hormone, your body is trying to readjust.
  If she's trying to get her levels up faster, she can try to maximize the drug's usage.  I am not recommending that she change her dosage with checking with her doctor.  But she can try to take her meds on a empty stomach, first thing in the morning, to maximize absorption.  Also, don't take any vitamins or other meds, including iron or calcium, at the same time of day.  They can affect absorption as well.
  Disclaimer:  I'm not a doctor, just someone who's been doing this a long time :-)
Lezlie Densmore
Chicopee, MA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2