Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 18:46:24 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
gonneke wrote:
And, before and beyond listening: watch mom and her bodylanguage/facial expression as she takes baby to the breast. Some women do not ''complain'' of pain with words, but their bodies tell it for them. The little frown, the just lifting the shoulders by a cm, bending the back, clenching the teeth, .. all signs of pain and signal to re-latch

How true.  I learned long ago not to ask a mom, "Does it hurt?"  Instead I will ask, "How does it feel?"  If her response it something like "Great!" and I see no signs of injury or wincing etc. as she nurses, I will take it to mean there is no discomfort (although I try to inject somewhere in the conversation that pain isn't normal and needs to be evaluated to see if the latch needs to be "refined")
On the other hand, a response like, "Not too bad" or "It's OK" (usually said a little tentatively) I take it as a clear sign that further evaluation is needed.  Often the "Not too bad" results from her assumption that soreness is an expected part of learning to nurse or perhaps she struggled with soreness with a previous baby and this one doesn't hurt as much as the last one!

Winnie Mading

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2