Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:53:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Dear Dawn,
Coming from a hospital where we do 60%+ CS and the babies are sleepy no matter what when they come out of transition.
We deliver over 4,000 babies a year. I think its they have the Astromorph in the spinal or epidural after delivery. Many are afternoon babies so mom has only had LR and if labor inducted some smigen of D5W.
Then we bath them so they cry themselves exhausted and then we wrap them in snuggly warm blankets.
Take them out to Mom to feed and we have a crew of excited families and they are so stressed out they just want a booby pillow and to listen to Mommy's heartbeat.
Oh I forgot dependent on Neo at delivery had themselves suctioned dry.
Then we have Mom having Dilaudid and Zofran in PAR and to ambulate 12 hrs after coming to the floor they get 1-2 Percocet.
Some of the Moms do great with 600mg Motrim and the repeats want more of Percocet. We actually have a few docs who don't give Percocet going home. A few give Motrim q6hr around the clock and these seem to use less narcotics on the whole. Oh, I forgot we get a mess of 36 weekers and often have a <5lber on the floor. (I don't know which I hate more.)
Tons of breast reductions and augmentations so most have nipple issues and we definitely have the Latino breast and formula combo queens. We have just initiated a 15-20 ml limitation if they insist on formula and the families who give the bottles still don't listen becs baby is sucking or he is considered still hungry. This why on my day off once a month dyed.
As head of the breastfeeding taskforce we are trying so hard and then we get some old fashioned ill read pedis or young Latina pedis who tell supplement. Our jaundice population can be higher on some occasions and i have one LC who will give 30-45ml on day 2 and 3 if baby not feeding yet she gave us the amt of? a new born SHOULD be fed!
We often send these poor women and babies home in 48 hrs but I will scream if I have a poor feeder and tell Mom she needs to follow up within 2 days with an outside LC. Many of our Moms are Medicaid and of course WIC and they want to have it free and I tell them they will be buying formula so why not spend the money on an LC and save more in the long run.
So I am glad to hear that the OB/Pedi meeting is supportative,? In the long run our PI study for last two years show that we meet > 90% breastfeeding at dc, but at 3 mos <25% and at 6 mos 7-12%.
We need WIC to have more LCs and easier access and pedis more knowledgeable.
I am hoping I can get them to a Nancy Mohrbacher conference we are having system wide in Sept.
We will be getting new Ameda pumps and we hope we can spark some enthusiasm. We do monthly inservices on How to Latch, How much formula to give in first 24 hrs and when to refer to LC and prioritize becs everyone thinks they need one each time they feed
Hang in there and keep the stats.
Will you be in Orlando?? 3 of us will be from our hospital maybe we can exchange information.
Leanne Jewell RN-BC, IBCLC, LCCE, FACCE
South Miami, Florida
first sunny day and its a cool 92 degrees

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2