Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:35:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Dear all:

I know there is research out there about perceived low supply.  However, someday, I 
must really find some way to document what I see regularly here in Manhattan with now 
thousands of clients that I have seen. Low supply is psychologically the easiest problem I 
have to deal with.  Resetting mom's framework of pointing out how much milk she IS 
making and if she is on the very low end of the spectrum, helping her show how much 
her baby enjoys the breast usually does the trick.  She needs to have her milk and 
contact with her baby valued.  Instead, the outer world is giving her the message that 
whatever amount she is making is "not enough".  If you can override that outer world 
message that it has to be 100% to be perfect, often you can get many of these women to 
100% or, if not, breastfeeding at less than 100% for far longer than they would have 
done without that message.  When I have a concern, I share it with the mother --- and 
tell them what interventions we will start with and that we have a back up plan if our first 
intervention doesn't work.  This way, they don't toss in the towel if they don't meet with 
immediate success.    

Give me 1000 women with perceived low supply any day over even 10 women with fussy 
babies or nasty mixed infections!

I often find mothers are really resentful if you saw a potential problem and never 
mentioned it to them and then it does come out later.  I think most of it is in the delivery.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2