Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:34:21 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I saw a 3 week old infant who was supposed to be born at home until when it came time to push the midwife realized that he was footling breech so mom was rushed to the hospital for a cesarean and there found the cord wrapped around his neck twice. 

He is gaining weight like a weed. But mom complains of sore nipples. No matter the position, and we tried everyone imaginable, nothing feels better. There is a little bruising on the underneath the nipple. That is the only visible sign of damage. After he comes off her nipple is wedged. Her pain is 7 out of 10. He has a short, flat tongue, a funny looking high palate with two ridges on both sides of the roof. I can not get his top lip up. It is always curled under. On appearance he does not appear to have a tight labia frenulum unless you look at the latch and try to get that lip up and out but it will not. He chomps the entire time. When I put my finger on the sides of his gums to try to break his suction, the tongue is right there however, his gums are also tight. There are no clicking noises. There is no milk dribbling out of his mouth as you see in tongue tie babies who can't handle the bolus. He does not fall off the breast. He latches and he does not want to be taken off. He loves the breast. Mom is dedicated but I always feel like I want to fix this situation right then and there. I offered mom to do a re birthing, suck training with massage and cranial sacral therapy. Anything else that you have found that works? If this is a posterior tongue tie the parents have no interest in getting it clipped. Any non evasive ideas to help baby not chomp please send my way. Thank you so much.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2