Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:33:17 -0400
In-Reply-To:
MIME-Version:
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/plain (27 lines)
Hi everyone, I saw a mom yesterday with a 5 mth old (permission to post). The baby was born at 7 lbs 7 oz. I had her weight at approx 15 lbs. All had been going well, mom noticed much less milk a few weeks ago only in one breast. Ped said that moms milk does not have enough calories and wanted me to "test" her milk. The mom is a very healthy and holistic. We did go over her diet - I think it might not be completely enough - so she will add more snacks (healthy) to her day. Even though I know her body would take from her first. Honestly the baby's weight looked fine (look at the baby not the scale (right Jay!!)).  What stood out to me was her skin and coloring (she is african american) she has either eczema or Seborrheic dermatitis - she also has cradle cap and is losing her hair (that could be normal). Her complexion on her face is blotching also. Mom only noticed this recently. Showed me pictures of two months ago and she looked much better then. Ped of course wanted mom to drink/eat more milk and cheese to bulk up her calcium and calories. I have her eliminating dairy all together and nuts now as well. I think this should help with the babies skin. But I am still concerned about the right breast not producing as much and having very little mammary tissue after starting off the same on both sides (right breast is noticeably smaller) .  Mom finally remembered having a fever - but didn't think this was mastitis. So ? - could mastitis be unilateral so badly and mother not know it - and cause such atrophy on that one side. I feel like I am answering my own ?'s here already.  I really doubt there is anything wrong inside (cancer etc.). I might have her have a sono or a infrared scan if the milk does not increase with herbs and some pumping. 

I did want to also address the Babies R Us comments earlier - but felt I might get attacked.  I did the "Breastfeeding Fair" on Saturday. I did not use the scrip I spoke on how good human milk is and all its wonderful properties and why moms should choose to breastfeed. I did get a visa gift card from medela. Their products were shown on a table - I did explain that working and pumping was easy and how our state now has a law to protect it. I did tell them to never buy a nipple shield from bru themselves - that only a IBCLC should be advising them on those. When I did get a ? on how to use a pump, I told them they should be seeing a IBCLC for that. (therefore showing that some stores DO NOT have help with that).  I explained how medela has made giving MORE milk to babies easier. In my part of the world 90 % - 95 % of moms go back to work before 3 mths.  I really feel that we need to embrace both medela and babies r us and not put them on our "naughty list".  They both have a place and we need to figure out a way to "Work" with them not banish them.  I made some wonderful contacts there this weekend. A wonderful holistic nutritionist that I plan to have work with my mothers and myself and some wonderful doulas that added to my speech. I never look at anyone or place as a negative (mostly), this is how we build our businesses.  I do a few seminars during the year at babies r us for free. I meet hundreds of moms and I know I have changed minds about breastfeeding, so I like to think that I just got more babies more human milk then they would have before. 

We are all in this together - lets look at it that way. I do not want to debate this - just wanted to voice my feelings.  We all have a right to our opinions.

Regards, Donna 

ps Hi Jay - miss you :)  

Donna B. Kimick, IBCLC, RLC
President of LILCA
Lakeshore Lactation 
516-799-7911
www.LILCA.ORG

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2