Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:06:29 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Well, I enjoy a challenge and I *knew* that I read a study some years ago finding a greater risk in breast cancer for women breastfeeding longer than 24 mos. I did find a study reporting this here: Int J Cancer.  2004; 110(1):102-9 

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/15054874

I'm not sure if this is the same study or not that I remember reading and I am sure that there are all kinds of problems with it.  And, for the record, I do believe that breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer, that it is dose dependent, and know that the large preponderance of all studies show this. But, for the poster who asked this question, yes, this study does exist.

The study above was published in 2004 but the information was gathered on women diagnosed with breast cancer in Los Angeles between the years 1995-1998. It seems the earlier a study is done the more likely the results are to show little or no risk reduction in breast cancer with breastfeeding. Even the Lancet reported this in Feb, 1996 and a  WHO report in 1993 (little to no, not greater risk). I don't think there are *any* recent studies at all that are able to say that breastfeeding provides no or only minimal protective effect. The jury is not out anymore. But more women are breastfeeding and breastfeeding longer now and it is easier to get a better study. 

Chrissy

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2