Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:56:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I am a grandmother now, but years ago I breastfed (one at a time) my two adopted daughters using the Lact-Aid. Once I got comfortable putting it together it worked beautifully. What I liked best was the fact that I could tuck the little bag containing the formula into my bra and very easily latch the baby and nurse with no one seeing the bag. It was just the same as "normal" breastfeeding when I was out and about. The disadvantage is that it uses disposable bags to contain the milk, so in the long run it costs more.

As a Lactation Consultant I often show moms how to use the SNS, so I am very familiar with it as well. It is nearly impossible to breastfeed discreetly with the SNS. I find it very bulky, (even the smaller starter SNS). It is easier to use, though, with fewer parts. 

For long-term supplementation, I definitely would use the Lact-Aid. If she thinks she will be able to breastfeed most of the time without supplementing and use it only a couple of times a day, (at home), then the SNS would probably be the better choice.

Anne Stiller, RNC, IBCLC, mom of three and grandmother of five. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2