Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2008 14:44:12 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Marianne Vanderveen asks about the IBLCE Scope of Practice for IBCLCs, and the IBLCE Code of Ethics, both containing *required* professional behavors by IBCLCs.  Her Q:  "How would you say, this translates to reporting to/about colleagues who don't uphold these standards...?  An lc who, on the telephone, gives a mom the advice to just endure the pain from her bleeding nipples... is this a violation of the SoP or the Code of Ethics...?"

A loaded question, to be sure.

Using our very best manners, professional demeanor (and evidence-based support) to *educate* mothers and health care providers about lactation is somehow a bit easier to swallow than the prospect of tattling on our IBCLC colleagues who do not.  

I urge all of you to surf on over to www.iblce.org and read, for yourselves, what is required of IBCLCs under both the Code of Ethics and Scope of Practice. You might be surprised to see that both contain language indicating an IBCLC has an *obligation* to file a complaint with IBLCE of IBCLCs violating either document.  Self-policing is the way that many professions encourage optimal behavior.  No anonymous complaints here:  you are to be prepared to step up to the plate, file and sign a written complaint, and particpate in the disciplinary process (with rights of discovery and cross-examiniation) for as long as it takes the IBLCE Discipline Committee to review and allegations, make findings, and determine sanctions.   

Personally, I think the first (and best) tack to take is to square your shoulders, take a deep breath, and  -- with your very best manners, professional demeanor, and offering evidence-based support -- contact the Bad IBCLC, and raise in an informal way your concern about the report you heard from the mother regarding the advice she had been given.  ("I was surprised when Mom told me you had suggested she nurse through the pain of bleeding nipples.  Did she misunderstand you?  Would you like to see an article I just read about preserving lactation when there is nipple injury?  I'd hate to see another mother get the wrong message again.")

Yeah -- she may huff and puff and slam the phone down on you.  But I'm willing to bet she'll think about what you said.

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2