Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:41:04 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hi

Does anyone on this list know someone in the WIC office in Kalamazoo, MI?  

I have a mom (who gave permission to post) I worked with, with her first child, a few years ago.  She now lives in Kalamazoo.  She has an 8 month old baby, female, vbac and no drug birth, normal weight gain until 6 months, at which point she was 15 pounds, 9 ounces.  Baby started solids at 6 or so months and is now eating a wide variety of mostly homemade baby foods.  

Baby is now 8 months, mom called me Sunday night, noticed baby is fussy after feeding, and her breasts don't feel as full.  She's a stay at home mom, with short time away from baby and toddler for school, so she has no need to pump. Owns a hand held Medela pump, previously she'd get out 2-3 ounces per side, now only pumping enough to cover the bottom of the bottle.  Per my advice, got a weight today, baby is now 15 pounds, 8 1/2 ounces, so loss of 1/2 ounce over the past two months.  Baby is hitting all developmental milestones....

Mother is starting fenugreek, oatmeal, etc but needs a better pump.  WIC, when called, told her they don't give mothers of 8 month old babies a pump.  She would need an appt, and no one has called her back yet.  

Mother is not pregnant, she has an iud.  

Baby started sleeping through the night a month or so ago.  Mom will start to wake baby 2-3 times a night to try to get her to feed, and will also increase number of nursing sessions during the day.

Any other ideas?  Anyone who lives near there who knows how to help WIC get this mom a pump to increase her supply? 

Joylyn Souter
Long Beach, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2