Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 08:35:53 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
A recent New York Times article starts this way: (sorry, I didn't keep the link.  Sunday 4 May perhaps):

"An Omnivore Defends Real Food
As a health writer, I've read hundreds of nutrition studies and countless books on diet and eating. And none of these has contained such useful advice as the cover of Michael Pollan's latest book, "In Defense of Food.''

Wrapped around a head of lettuce are seven words that tell you pretty much everything you need to know about healthful eating. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.'' 

This seemingly-simple message is surprisingly complex, because there is food, and then there are what Mr. Pollan describes as "edible food-like substances.''   [Snip]

Or as Nan says,  food "as close to its natural state as possible".  It seems clear to us, but perhaps there are others still struggling with this concept.  Another way to think of it... If I can't *contemplate* growing or making it myself (should I have the time and space) then perhaps it's not something I should be ingesting much of?

Hettie, I wonder if your client really needs a list of "good foods".  Perhaps she is just looking for a way to control her life which has probably got a little uncontrollable with the new baby.  If you don't continue with your message about a general good diet with no firm rules, then you will do her and those around her a disservice.  She may not hear you this time, but at least you will not have given her misinformation.

Good luck for the exam!

Jacquie from down the road

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2