Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:19:57 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Dear collegues,

I'd like your help to get my message worded in the right way for one of our brochures. It is a bit hard: as a volunteer organisation we don't give medical advice, so somehow... we could abolish the brochure, for mastitis is a medical problem. ;o)) I was pretty sharp on getting the sequence right: stasis - engorgement - plugged duct/sterile mastitis - bacterial infection - abscess. Most of the text is ready now; to my sorrow, homeopathy as a way to treat sterile mastitis (I know many good results from Phytolacca) was rejected, since homeopathy is not evidence based... Any thoughts on this are welcome, too.
This is what we have right now concering abscess and it should more or less remain like this. There is no room to get to a much longer text, so it would be great if you could let me know if it is correct like this. You would do me a big favour by correcting in bold or italic within my text. The brochure is already in backorder, so fast replies are more than welcome! You can email me off list if you prefer.

Thanks ever so much; how great we can be together! ;o)

Warmly,

Marianne

An untreated or neglected mastitis can lead to an abscess. Fortunately this is not very common. An abscess is pus-filled hole/cavity. The pus has to be removed from the hole/cavity. Sometimes it suffices to aspirate the pus with a needle. You can then continue to feed without any problem. A much more invasive treatment is when a surgeon opens the hole/cavity with local anaesthesia in order to let the pus flow away. When the incision is not put too close to the areola, in most cases it will not be a problem to continue feeding. Let your HCP know beforehand that you want to continue breastfeeding, so that this can be taken into account. When the incision is close to the areola, in order to give the wound rest, you will not be able to let your baby drink from the treated breast. Apart from that, you don't need to worry about your baby taking in a little bit of blood or septum (? wound fluid) with the milk.
In case of a bacterial infection, it is not always possible to feed the baby at the infected breast. Discuss this with your HCP. In many cases it is necessary to empty the breast by pumping. Like the milk itself, the flow of the milk enhances healing of the breast.

Een onbehandelde of verwaarloosde borstontsteking kan tot een abces leiden. Gelukkig komt dit zelden voor. Een abces is een holte die met pus is gevuld. De pus moet uit de holte verdwijnen. Soms is het voldoende om deze er met een naald uit te zuigen. Je kunt dan probleemloos doorvoeden. Een veel ingrijpender behandeling is dat een chirurg onder plaatselijke verdoving de holte opentom de pus eruit te laten vloeien.
Als het sneetje niet te dicht bij de tepelhof wordt gezet, is het in de meeste gevallen geen probleem om door te gaan met voeden. Laat vooraf aan je zorgverlener weten dat dit je wens is, zodat daarmee rekening kan worden gehouden. Als het sneetje wel dicht bij de tepelhof zit, zul je, om de wond rust te geven, je baby enkele dagen niet aan de behandelde borst kunnen laten drinken. Overigens is het niet erg als je baby met de melk wat bloed of wondvocht binnen krijgt.

Als er sprake is van een bacteriële infectie, is het niet altijd mogelijk om de baby aan de zieke borst te voeden. Overleg ook dit met je zorgverlener. In deze gevallen is het noodzakelijk dat je door middel van kolven de borst leegt. Net als de melk zelf, bevordert de doorstroming van de melk de genezing van de borst.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2