Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:34:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I think Jennifer and I will just agree to disagree. I read a lot of bitterness and anger in your post and remain a firm believer in the necessity of licensure for a health care?professional who carries the IBCLC designation in the US. The medical model certainly has its problems but I believe we owe it to the mothers and babies that we care for to be able to do so in a manner that is safe, professional, collegial, and effective. IBCLCs have little say in health care policy and I feel that licensure is one more step towards being able to remedy so much of what is wrong with how lactation care is delivered to our mothers. I think this can be done without compromising our integrity, independence, or values. Breastfeeding is almost invisible in health policy, insurance reimbursement, employment benefits, and maternal/child health programs. I also think this discussion can be carried out without bashing differing opinions. Part of the problem is the lack of a cohesive approach to improving breastfeeding care and being taken seriously as part of the health care team,?whether it is through licensing, education, marketing of the profession, etc. 

We all do the best we can to help mothers in all sort of venues. I simply think that licensure is yet another rung on the ladder towards mothers being able to secure the services they need to be able to breastfeed their babies.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2