Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:58:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
I have just had a bit of fun -we are at present in New York visiting our son and family.
Yesterday we spent most of the day at the Metropolitan and as usual when I go to art galleries I look for "breastfeeding " pictures
The Madonna does pretty well but there are so many classical European paintings showing serene mothers with chubby babies latching on perfectly - and there were no breastfeeding counsellors around then
And no shame about exposing breasts even with angels, kings etc. looking on.
I keep a collection of prints and postcards at home and we discuss this during the breastfeeding session of my prenatal courses.
Yesterday I was so excited because I found Guido Reni`s "Charity" painted late 16th, early 17th century in Italy.
Three cherubic infants are clambering over their mother who looks quite hqappy about it.  One of them is breastfeeding and the others look well sated.
Their complexions are different so it not clear that they are triplets or even the same age, but it is certainly a great example of feeding multiples 
If you search the artist and the title on the Internet you will see it.

As I was searching generally through this subject, having also enjoyed Gerard David`s "Rest on the Flight to Egypt"
I found a link to
www.darkfiber.com/pz/front

I found a fascinating thesis written in December 1990 by Thomas Peter Kunesh of the University of Minnesota entitled - wait for it -
THE PSEUDO-ZYGODACTYLOUS GESTURE OF THE LACTATING GODESS
It is full of references to nursing in art and literature.

So when did society - and medics - start interfering with the holiness of breastfeeding?

Wendy Blumfield
Enjoy

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2