Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:07:26 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Not sure I'm doing this right as this is my first ever post,  but.....

As a non-RN IBCLC, I was struck by the Mission Hospitals  post for an IBCLC to join their team of 8 LCs in an evidence-based practice, etc., etc., etc.\

I'm unaware of any "evidence" that NON-RN IBCLCs are not perfectly capable of performing all the duties of an IBLCE-certified LC as outlined in the Clinical Competencies, EVEN ON A HOSPITAL FLOOR. OTs and PTs are not RNs, and they work with moms and babies all the time as allied health professionals, which is what IBCLCs are.  If the hospitals want to hire RN/LCs so they can move them to other work, or to cover for the RN out sick, etc., that's another story, but they should say so up front. 

The over-medicalization of our field is becoming a problem (in my opinion, anyway), as so much of our work is education, empathy, support, and heartfelt caring, and should go on for many months beyond the first 3 days.  I've been struck over the years at the lack of knowledge beyond the first month pertaining to BF even among IBCLCs who are only on the floor.  I'm not suggesting that most RNs aren't good at what they do as LCs, only that there are many great LCs, even for working on the floor, who are not RNs.  I believe that the reasons so many hospitals now say RN REQUIRED is because they've never seen a competent LC who wasn't an RN.  This is probably because by far the fastest way to accumulate the hours of experience required by IBLCE to sit the exam is to already be a nurse on a floor working with moms and babies.  It's sorta like chicken and egg stuff.  Its not because of WHAT the pre-existing RN knows as an RN that gives her the knowledge to pass the exam (that can't be had in any other way); it's because of WHERE they are in the first place.  I know RNs work hard for their certification, but so did I.  I had no hospital budget to help pay for my training, conferences, etc. - it all came out of my pocket (which was pretty empty most of the time as I had 3 little kids at the time).  It took me 6 years as a Health Educator to accumulate my hours before my first IBLCE exam.  I've now been an LC for over 10 years,  I've worked outpatient most of that time and have helped literally thousands of dyads (250-300 deliveries/mo), sometimes straightening out problems that began on the floor.  I had 8 years before that in MCH health education, WIC bf promo, childbirth education, doula work and as a licensed apprentice midwife (where it was legal and appreciated), but because I'm not an RN I don't qualify to be an LC in the hospitals in my area.  I have yet to have anyone explain to me just WHAT it is that they are afraid of me not being able to learn (even with some in-servicing?) to do.  I just don't have those letters.  In retrospect, I should have gone to nursing school years ago and saved myself the hematoma I've gotten from beating my head against this wall for so long.  I just knew I didn't want to be a nurse.  I wanted to be an LC.  The two are (or should be) different.  Mutually supportive, and both vitally important, but different.

I find it ironic that the IBLCE and our credential as IBCLCs was the daughter of the LLLI grassroots movement to bring our babies back to the breast, yet today, if you're not an RN, I'd recommend you become one if you want to practice as an LC (at least here in the South).

Got that off my chest - am I nuts, or is there some logic in here somewhere?
Thanks for all I've learned from so many of you over the years......
Kay McKee B.A., I.B.C.L.C., NON-R.N.

--
Kay McKee

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2