Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:31:09 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hello!  This is my first post, so I'm a bit nervous....  I'm an IBCLC/PHN in Sask, Canada currently on maternity leave with my 9 month old son and his big brother!  My son is in Grade One and his teacher is currently expecting her second child any day now.  She asked me what I thought about her family physician starting her on domperidone right now (prenatally), as she didn't have any milk (her words), with her first child.  I was off on maternity leave when she had her first child, so I wasn't able to help her.  I am unaware of the details of her insufficient milk supply, and haven't pried into her situation.  She hasn't divulged anymore information, and I am sure that I will learn more as our relationship grows.  

I have offered my help as a friend and as an IBCLC for this baby, reassuring her that each baby is different and it's all about the latch, and I'm right here in her corner....(you know the drill  :-)))   For now, I was wondering if anyone had some literature that I could pass along to this mother, who in turn could share with her family physician.  I only have experience with the use of domperidone postnatally.  I don't have access to any of my literature (as it's all stashed at my office and I'm on maternity leave).  I am totally unsure of what to tell this mother - my gut instinct was "gasp - domperidone prenatally doesn't make sense to me", but then again, the more I learn the more I realize I don't know.  Please, if you have any information for me and literature as well that would be great.  This mother is scholarly so literature is well understood and appreciated.  She wants to know what it's all about, and I can't help her with this....helping her with breastfeeding and helping her to protect her milk supply for this baby, I can do!  Thanks so much,

Pattie Draude, RN, BN, IBCLC
Saskatchewan, Canada

Beautiful memories 
Silently kept 
of a baby we loved 
And will never forget

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2