Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:51:47 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Ms Panchula,

May I humbly share my personal experience.  My son has latched but never efficiently since birth.  I overreacted to his 20% weight loss and slow return to birthweight and made some errors in those early weeks that has led me to exclusively pumping and bottlefeeding EBM.  All along I have believed in skin to skin and despite all of the other management "schemes" I have tried along the way, I have stuck with skin to skin EVERY night of his life and as much as possible during the day(as practical with 2 other kids)  I would urge this mother to continue with the skin to skin at night - how could it hurt?  No attempt to breastfeed or latch, just skin to skin while baby sleeps.  My son went through breast refusal behaviors around 5-7 weeks of age and skin to skin at night was the only thing that kept me sane during that.  It has taken many moons but now my son suckles quite a bit during his sleep and takes in a large amount of nourishment overnight.  I call it night-time
 breastfeeding but have just learned a lovely word for it: dreamfeeding.

As for your other query- I agree wholeheartedly with this moms fabulous intuition in having baby observe breastfeeding!!  My daughter comes into the bed and nurses everymorning and my son wakes and observes her beside him.  He will latch and unlatch and all the while they giggle and look at each other.  No- he is not miraculously transferring milk at the breast- but he latches and suckles!!  so far he has only allowed me to let down into his mouth a few times.  He usually detaches just as I am letting down.  But I believe VERY MUCH that his experience at the breast will only improve as he continues his nightnursing and wakes in the mornings to observe his sister at the breast.  I talk to his big sister about how she can help her little brother learn to breastfeed and she is thrilled to demonstrate for him!!

La Leche League is a wonderful place for your mommy to go- surely she can find a night time meeting to attend somewhere in her area.  I would love for you to share on her progress.

Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC
  Lactation Services
  Memorial Hermann
  The Woodlands, TX
  and mommy to Benjamin the Fabulous who is almost 6 months old!!!!!!!

---------------------------------
Shape Yahoo! in your own image.  Join our Network Research Panel today!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2