Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:32:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
 Ok-here is a good one for you...I almost fell out of my chair when I spoke to this client today.

Baby is 4 months old next week. Peds advised mom to put cereal in baby's bottle at 7 weeks of age but didn't specify to mom how much. She is now putting 4 scoops (formula can scoop) of cereal into a 4 oz bottle of formula 3 times a day. Baby is also taking 4 to 6 - 4oz bottles of formula in a 24 hour period.  Mom just started giving baby one 21/2 oz jar of food at night then follows up with the cereal bottle.

I am in shock here ladies!  This mom was an exclusive breastfeeder that just miraculously dried up from one day to the next...and now this is happening!

I did manage to get my jaw up off the floor long enough to tell this mom that I would not go against what the doctor said.  I do not agree with what she is doing to this baby's guts!  Holy Cow!  She said that the peds advised her to do this so baby would stop eating as often.  She was wanting to eat every 11/2  to 2 hrs-I told her that was not out of the ordinary for an exclusive BFer.  She also managed to tell me that the baby will stop when she is full!

Mom said that she thinks she'll back off  to two scoops in the bottle b/c of my reaction.  I told her I would "talk" with my ladies and get their opinion.  Again, restating that I would not go against the Docs instructions.

I'm ready, let me have it! Have a blessed day,Merideth M. Buell, BFPCDSHS [log in to unmask]  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2