Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 17:07:51 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I don't have ANY hard evidence to back up the following statement, but...I wonder if the Peer Counselor had any either! I think peer counselors do a great job, and her statement was logical, but I don't know that it was accurate.

First, the pumping ahead of time seems like making what should be a simple process rather complicated. Also, the colostrum would be frozen, right? Does that affect the antibiotic properties of the milk? The colostrum would not have the antibodies to whatever the theoretically ill baby would be exposed to in the future if baby and mother have not yet had the illness. Now, I'm not saying this is a bad idea, just sounds a bit unnecessary to me.

As far as bringing in mature milk "too fast", I don't know. I tandem nursed throughout my second pregnancy, and prior to delivery and immediately after, my milk "reverted" to colostrum just fine. My milk did come in faster, but in my experience that is not uncommon with subsequent children, tandem nursing or not.

My concern is more that a counselor MAY BE giving out information that MAY have no scientific basis.

Kellie

---------------------------------
Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2