Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:54:06 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
First of all thanks to you all who sent references confirming that colostrum helps to pass meconium faster = lower bilirubin and that it is not such a good idea (as per one of my local hospitals) to overload a tiny baby with formula just to get his intestines working.
My friendly colleague at that hospital is looking into these issues so I am ready with these references.

Another issue that has been discussed in recent postings is starting solid food.  There are many debates on how soon/how late/nutritional benefits etc. but we need to think also about how to present food to infants in a way that will attract him.
I have seen child-carers blend everything and pour it into a bottle - ugh!  It makes less mess.
And that is the point- infants love experimenting with textures and tastes and while smearing his carrots all over himself, through his hair and on the walls, he might actually get a few mouthfuls and enjoy it.
So without putting any pressure on the infant to eat, I have always found with my own children who were fantastic eaters, and now with my grandchildren, that if they sit with the family and join in meal-times, they will enjoy the social experience and often want to take food that they see is being eaten by their parents and siblings.
Having a dog in the family to eat up all the droppings on the floor is ideal but if not, put down some plastic sheeting or newspaper. Telling him not to make a mess or washing his hands and face every few minutes gives him a message that eating is dirty and will turn him into a picky eater for life.
Meanwhile a baby who is breastfed beyond six months will be more than adequately nourished and giving solid food should be fun rather than because of fear that the baby is not getting what he needs. 
Wendy Blumfield
NCT ANT Tutor/BFC
Israel Childbirth Education Centre

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2