Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2007 07:28:09 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
There are so many thoughts racing through my mind on this issue. Breastfeeding was a joyful experience for me, spiritual even.
Having lived and worked in what I would consider very anti-breastfeeding cultures in the South USA, I go crazy sometimes dealing with
the attitudes and behaviors of mothers and hospital staff. I struggle every day on how to present myself and advocate for bf. 
What to say to the mother who just wants to pump it? What to say to the mother who just wants to bf for 2 weeks? What to say to 
the mom who says she tried to latch him one time and he didn't take it so she's going to formula feed, and doesn't want any help.?
 What about the mom who had a c-section and wants to start maybe tomorrow? I really wonder if that one would be better served to 
give the baby formula bottles for 1-2 days, and then get started bf when mom feels better? Is that better, and more of a chance for longterm succes
because if she doesn't get a good feel about bf that first day, she'll abandon it forever? Please don't think I'm losing my mind, but I wonder 
sometimes just how to get through. It seems just serendipity which moms will get it and which ones won't. I think we need a totally different ad 
campaign. I think mothers who don't bf think mothers who did are special, and we should play that up. I think the ads should be like that t-shirt 
somewhere -- "I did it on an elevator, I did it at a little league game...." and I think we should have older kids and teens saying 
"my mom breastfed me - thanks mom." And other kids on the ad asking "did you bf me, mom?" 
Still keeping on and searching for the answers,
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi, s.e. USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2