Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:13:11 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Great post,

However I had a bit of a quibble about one statement (paraphrased), that pediatricians have difficulty about working on breastfeeding because they focus on the baby and not on the mother.

Umm,  haven't meet any babies under 2 that could directly communicate with me:)  The challenge of pediatrics IS that the patient is usually a child that may not be able to communicate verbally and one has to do the communication with an adult (usually a parent, but these days can also mean an adult guardian such as a grandparent or other relative).

That is also the JOY of being a pediatrician IMHO.   Yes, our patient may be the baby but really effective pediatricians look and working with the ENTIRE family.  That can include encouraging that older sibling that may have issues with the new baby in the house.  Helping parents wade through practical ways to parent, work and/or go to school at the same time.

Yes, there are docs out there that only "focus narrowly on the issue at hand."  But I think the art of pediatrics is working from a more holistic and parent centered focus.

Yes, docs like to be educated about practical, hands on things to do with patients.  Statistics on breastfeeding, why it is so important to breastfeed is helpful but does little for learning what practical things to do when the family is in the office with an issue.

Make it concise, infuse it with humor and make it interactive (rather than traditional talking heads format with too much verbiage on a slide) and you will have a winning presentation.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD FAAP
  Petaluma CA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2