Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 20:36:15 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
As I go from mom to mom, I often make a note such as "mom & babe sleeping 0930" or "mom not in room 1045" (probably because she's in the NICU w/babe). That's to keep track of who I saw or why I didn't yet.

There are a few nurses who have told me to wake mom up to do the consult, or go to NICU and get her. My explanations of why both suggestions are bad ideas fall on deaf ears. 

They are completely focused on doing all the things they are mandated to do in 48 hours (sometimes 36 or 24), and see that all allied health referrals are completed before discharge, and getting the mom discharged on time to save "patient days" or because another mom in L&D is waiting for the bed. So all the blame for mom being tired is given to visitors and to baby wanting to breastfeed "all the time" (their definition, not mine).

Just my observation and experience - not what I think is right.

Phyllis
(RN assessments, Vitals, medications, MD exams, hearing tests, car seat instruction, heel sticks, PKU test, MBR test, HepB shot, Discharge class, instruction videos, social services, diabetic educator, nutritionist / dietary, lactation, birth certificate (2 visits), no you can't sleep w/baby in your bed in the hosp because you're too tired, too medicated, too whatever ...... not to mention other demands on mom when baby is not Level I healthy.)

--
Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2