Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:00:32 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
There's been some discussion here and on another list about writing dr reports.  No, it seems they're not essential to do as part of our IBLCE requirements.  But my goodness, I couldn't live without them!  Here's why *I* do them:

I want an easy way to write up our consult - an excuse for getting it done.  My reports are always in narrative style, one page with very few exceptions, a summary at the top, and key words/phrases in bold type.  They're the fastest way for *me* to remember what happened!

I want the HCP to realize I know my stuff.  Years and years of dutifully filing reports has given me a fine local reputation, even though I never get a response directly.

I want the HCP to learn a little of that stuff him/herself.  Our HCPs are generally pretty reasonable about thrush treatments, for instance, and I *know* they wouldn't be what they are without the endlessly supplied handouts that often go along with my reports.

I want all her "team" to know what other team members are thinking/doing.  I spot things that they don't know about, and I think it's important to have all that stuff in her file.  On very rare occasions I'll add a post-it note, urging the doc to "read between the lines" on something that I didn't spell out in the report; all my reports are written so that the mother can feel good reading them.

I want to keep the HCP fired up about supporting her.  Supporting *him* makes it easier for him to support *her*.  And hearing about her ongoing efforts reminds him to praise her efforts, as in, "This mother has worked extremely hard; the reward is not only a thriving baby but a lovely relationship," or, "This mother worked very hard to make this happen; she deserves a lot of respect for her efforts."

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2