Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:22:47 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
With permission to post, I am working with a mom of a four week old who has a lump in one of her breasts that comes and goes between feedings. On one breast she is able to remove the lumps with massage, efficient feeding, occasional pumping, hot compresses and such, but the lump in the other breast seems to keep returning. Not only does it return as fast as five minutes after a feeding (plus a few minutes of pumping as her dr. recommended, but it has returned larger than previous. I thought she was at first struggling with plugged ducts or mastitis, but baby feeds well, good output, good demeanour, mom pumps after a feed, and is feeling well physically, except for this painful, large lump. I thought maybe she had an infection earlier on that has caused some scarring to the duct hence the backup and lump, but why would the lump quickly return after a feed? And why is it larger than before? She does feel her ducts filling with milk rapidly and painfully as the lump returns. Could this be some sort of blockage, cyst or ??? Because it goes down with a feed it makes me think plugged duct that is relieved, but it's the quick return of the lump (the size of a walnut) that has me puzzled. I'd love some input. I have suggested lecithin which also doesn't seem to help.

Stacy

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2