Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:11:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I would like to agree with a previous post regarding the level of experience for IBCLC's. In the past few weeks I have come across IBCLC's who (1) Had never heard of a CERP and did not know she needed them to recertify (2) Chastised her IBCLC staff member for telling mothers that it is not a good idea to give bottles or pacifiers, that she "had never heard of such a thing", (3) Did not know there was such a thing as a woman having a yeast infection on her nipples. These people became certified because their hospital paid for it and they managed to pass the exam. In this day of HIPPA it is difficult to get the experience needed for certification.  Many attendees of the CLC programs, Peer counselors and LLL Leaders have more knowledge than these IBCLC's. 

I am proud to be associated with most of the IBCLC's in my community, except for the rare ones above. They are extremely professional and knowledgeable. Some Dr.s give us respect for our knowledge but many of the Doctors give us little respect and do not recommend consults, just improper information and a flat of formula. As an allied health care professional and hospital employee I feel we get less respect than the dieticians, physical therapists, etc. for knowledge in our field of expertise. Is it because it is related to breasts?, women? Do they consider our knowledge a threat to their abilities?  We have plugged away in our community and I feel there is some change, but it is slow going, two steps forward, one step back. I am sure we could all write a very thick volume of the "stupid misinformation we have heard about breastfeeding". 

I commend all of you who have made the field of lactation and credential of IBCLC the "Gold Standard" and who study and learn everyday. I guess we have to keep our own volumes of good stories, and happy Mom's and baby's. 

Dianne 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2