Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:55:42 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
MIME-Version:
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Hello to all the wonderful people on Lactnet! I guess I am what you call a "lurker", I have been reading all the posts for some months and have occassionally wanted to post but have not know how! So, I shall try.
My name is Cyndi Colligan, I have 4 children, all breastfed, and all weaned now. They are (almost) 4, 7 ,10 and 12 years. I have been a LLLL for 6 years now, brought to LLL and wanting to help other moms becasue of my 3rd child, now 7.
She also had similar problems as far as latch- everything looked great on the outside, but she did something "funny" with her tounge. It also felt like it was scraping, or really bumping into the end of the nipple and my nipples were either lipstick shaped, had a crease in them and/or were white. She also gained great and I had a hard time getting help because the peds were not concerned (I, on the other hand, had sore nipples for about 4 months). I saw many LLLL's, a great IBCLC, and even went to a Speech/Language perons to have her suck evaluated (though, they told me they really had little experience with breastfed babies, mostly bottlefed!). In any case, never did really figure out what was going on in there, but many of the same things were brought up- strong MER, fast flow, etc...she had a slightly high palate but nothing too bad. She felt like she nursed with her lips clamped shut! I had better luck with the cross-cradle hold in the beginning, so I would encourage this mom to try different postitions, too. My daughter also "clicked" like crazy, never sure why that was, either!
I took her to a chiropractor around 3 months, she had two (maybe 3) visits, and my nipples were no longer sore! I may never be sure if this was a coincidence, just the passing of time or really made the difference for her. I believe it helped a great deal. Incidentally, when I had my 4th daughter, I also became cracked and sore, and took her immediately for an adjustment and didn't struggle so long.  
I find it very interesting that they were both born via c-section and they used a vacuum extractor to get them out. My first two were also sections, but no vacuum was used. I think the thing sucked their toungues up to the roofs of their mouths!! In any case, both made it nurse for 2+ years, self weaning. 

On a different topic, in our LLL Group we have seen a HUGE increase recently in tandem nursing/nursing through pregnancy. There must be 6 moms I can think of off the top of my head who are currently tandem nursing, which is a lot more than we have really ever seen before.

Cyndi Colligan

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2