Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:16:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Hello all ( and congrats to all who took the most recent IBCLC exam!) This  colitis issue is timely as I was just posting this to the group.

I previously wrote about a possible dairy/allergen sensitivity in a (now) 7 week old infant.
Previously the main complaint of the mom prompted us to have her keep a  food diary which shows a healthy normal diet, varied in proteins, veggies, fruits. Some dairy, some wheat, oats, and no soy.  Mom has been avoiding dairy for 2 weeks now and is willing to further modify if needed. 

She had also recorded baby's discomfort times, and they are periodic, sporadic and last up to 2 hours.Normal stools when I visited with the mom at 4 weeks, which she now states are consistently green. Baby is gaining, but no OTC or comfort measures seem helpful.

The mother ( and baby) are frustrated with the gas/pains/crying that extend beyond a normal fussy-early evening pattern. Ped is blaming mom's diet, and advising now to wean and start formula. Mom is not happy with this recommendation and has been doing much reading.
I live over an hour from her and have been "phone support" as there is simply no other alternative for lactation support down here or within 4 hours. The local WIC R.D. is also counselling the mother and is helpful with breastfeeding support. So a mish mash of self-help is going on!

Mother read a paper on lactose overloaded infants titled : 
Resolution of Lactose Intolerance and "Colic" in Breastfed Babies by Robyn Noble & Anne Bovey (1998) which suggests "An inadequate fat intake in the maternal diet appears to make a direct contribution to the intensity of lactose overload symptoms, resulting in lower fat and higher lactose levels in their breast milk.".

This paper was written in 1998, and I am curious if this information is considered up to date or if there has been further investigation or reports I can share with this mom?

Thank you again , for all who responded before in reference to further diet modifications and other suggestions as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mirine R. Dye, B.S., CLE
Childbirth and Lactation Educator
MPH grad student
Florida Keys  [log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2