Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:37:56 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (59 lines)
Here is a link to the LLL website on this issue:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

The article states that, if the milk is scalded before freezing, it is no longer "saopy" smelling. 

My understanding is that if a mother has an adequate supply of milk, she will not have to stockpile in her freezer. I believe that milk that is not frozen does not become "soapy." I could be wrong, but this would be easy wnough for the mother to check. Monday's expressed milk can be given to the baby on Tuesday. Mamas tend to feel the need to stockpile milk in the freezer before returning to work, but fresh is really best! According to the LLL website, milk may be kept in a fridge for up to 8 days. I understand a mother's desire to freeze the milk so it does not go bad. It is heartbreaking to have to pour expressed breastmilk down the drain! Perhaps she could gauge how much her infant usually needed during their seperations, and keep that refrigerated. Any excess could be scalded and frozen. I would be concerned that not too much milk be scalded and frozen, as I would think it would lose some of it's wonderful properties. Still, scalded, frozen, and reheated breastmilk
 must be better than formula!

If the mother has more milk than she can use, she could always scald the milk, and then freeze it. If I had a call from a mother with an excessive lipase issue, I would encourage her to use fresh milk to feed her infant whenever possible.. Any excess could then be scalded and frozen,  just in case mom had a day when her supply was lower, or baby had an unexpected "high need" day (like one precpitating a growth spurt). Of course, if the mother was informed my her childcare provider that the baby was upping his or her intake, mom could make an effort to pump more for a few days to increase the amount of fresh milk on hand, as well as try to nuse baby more at night and on the weekends. As a stay-ay-home-mom, I have been fortunate to not have to deal with these issues, but I still felt the need to freeze ridiculous amounts of milk for my son when he was a newborn, out of fear that I would perish in a disaster and he would need my milk. Fortunately, by the time my daughter was
 born, I came to my senses and tossed out my breast pump. Too much work! Still, I can sympathize with a new mother's feeling that she needs to stockpile. Seriously...I used to stay up at night pumping, terrified that some unfortunate event would claim my life and leave my son hungry, until my hubby could find someone to nurse him. I had some issues the first time around!

--Kellie Whitney, LLLL

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:38:09 -0500
Subject: Soapy tasting thawed breastmilk

Pardon me if this has been discussed before. However, a search of the
archives did not yield a match. A mother of a six week old infant, who
nurses very well, left a bottle of thawed breastmilk for her husband to feed
the baby while she went to a wedding shower. The baby refused the milk and
waited patiently for her return. She first thought this was just the baby
waiting for her, but the next day, he refused to take thawed breastmilk
again, this time from the grandmother. Mother tasted the milk and reports
that it has a soapy taste. She thawed another portion and it also had a
soapy taste. She freezes her milk in Gerber milk storage bags. Her LLL
leader has told her that this is from excessive amounts of lipase in her
breastmilk. He continuies to nurse well with no sign of rejection when at
the breast.

Does anyone have information to share with me for this mother?

Diane Perrone, RNC
Materna Wellborn
Algonquin IL USA

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Everyone is raving about the  all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2