Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 07:45:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Dear Jennifer and Rachel:

Many thanks for expanding and articulating so well potential unintended side effects of excessive 
pumping for donations.  I had merely been looking at the work for mom aspect because so many 
new moms I see are out of sync with their babies from the start and so they need to pump for the 
lack of breast drainage.  So, I tend to think of how to make what moms consider "work"  bearable 
for them and get rid of the pumping asap.

But your comments were so timely.  Yesterday, I had a woman with a premie come to my support 
group who was making 20 ounces more a day than her baby took.  He took 3.5 oz from the breast 
at support group - so I figure she is up to twin level production.  So, of course, I helped her with a 
plan to reduce her pumping.  It didn't dawn on me until you both posted that my concern was not 
so much for her as a mother because she actually handled her excessive pumping  routine well, 
but for her baby who needed to sit up while feeding (I took her pillow away during group)  and 
needed extensive time sitting up afterward.  Of course, there is also the possibility that as I back 
her off her pumping, we might miss and she might have plugged ducts so that would be a side 
effect to her.  

To me, this is a very clear example of why, when one writes informed consent forms, you can fail 
to explain all the risks unless you have an external independent body monitoring your actions.  
Even then, if you don't have out of the box thinkers really looking at the situation from all angles, 
you can still miss.

Best regards, Susan Burger

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2