Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 10:01:25 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
  Phyllis asks "how did you get the booth?"  what would you do next time?

I read about the (Walmart) Baby Family Expo in a handout my husband picked up at a doctors office.  I looked at the website and contacted them.  There was booth space available and I got onboard.  Total costs for booth, extra table, electrical outlet (you have you pay for everything except basics--lots of rules) was just under $1000. I paid for it myself, in my business name, Lactation Consultants of San Diego. **Please note: As a matter of principal I do NOT shop at Walmart, and in no way wish to support their vision of a Walmart World...

Not many of us are in this business to become rich, but enriched by making a difference in people's lives, and I felt it was extremely important to have a breastfeeding presence there at an otherwise artificial feeding extravaganza.

The best things about it were:

My friend who does trade shows for the giftware market, loaned me special drapes to decorate the booth so we had a really cozy feel...very feminine and pretty.  

We were selling ourselves and our concern showed.  The moms were so eager to tell their experiences, good and bad, and their hopes for the "next baby".  At least three moms were considering relactation consults...that would be awesome.  Baby weighing was a huge hit...we had lines at times waiting!

Slings/pouches would have been a plus...not one rep there, and there were requests.  My favorite company is Kangaroo Korner, for their pouches, but her little business cannot expand yet, so I'm waiting for her to be able to meet the demand. We didn't solely represent for any one pump manufacturer, but did discuss merits of each of them, based on mother's needs.

Instead of hawking a bunch of products, I've decided to have a very select few, for clients who express interest.  The only accessory I sell is Bebe au Lait, "Nursing Covers for Chic Mothers".  Southern California, you know...I sold 75% of my inventory, and raffled one off.  I gained a database of mostly expectant mothers and will do an email follow up newsletter (from their entries).

Based on what I saw on day 1, I added to my display---It was amazing how many people ignorantly wore the heart shaped "I'm off to a Good Start!" stickers that were given out at the Nestle booth.  I want a sticker next year! (Tongue in cheek--would really like a kick-the-(formula)-habit sample trash bin - we could give it to the Zoo!)

So day 2, I had a pretty 12"x12" sign that said "Why pay for a "good start", when you can get the Very Best Start for free?  Make sure you learn the facts...Human milk feeding is and always will be Superior...It's Alive!"  At bottom in fine print " Human milk contains living cells that have been made lethal to 40 types of Cancer cells in vitro...How about that?  And the list goes on...Ask us more!"   (Better believe I had my Lars Hansen's Immunobiology of Breastmilk book w/me!)  Also decorated with pretty stickers I got at Target in scrapbook section, "Believe in Yourself!" and "Way to go!"  Next to this I laid out copies of Los Angeles BF task force info sheet on risks of artificial feeding; all but one were picked up.  

Popular color handouts were Making Milk is Easy! from Massachusetts BF Coalition, as well as their It's my Birthday-Give me a Hug!

I had Kellymom's porfessional series handouts for specific issues moms requested, as well as a whole lot more.

I colorfully matted 4 of InFact Canada's Breastfeeding 101 series laminated posters, on foam boards and hung them with big purple and mauve ribbon, around my big company banner. You could see them from the front of the hall...beautiful!  Got lucky with booth site selection, corner and facing front with an aisle ending right in front of the booth (you should've seen the "solar system" over at Enfamil; they spent big bucks, but it sure had a cold feel...)

Will it bring in business? maybe, but we did a lot of good education...we'll see when these babies are born in the next few months...Referred out-of-towners to ILCA.org for LC resources in their areas...The Expo rep told me that it looks like Lansinoh will be doing something big there next year...that would be great, and very complimentary to our exhibit.  It was great to have Veronica Tingzon there on Saturday...she was terrific...Three LC's would be even better...I would do it again.
  www.babyfamilyexpo.com

Annalee Hulburt, IBCLC, in La Jolla, CA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2