Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:26:45 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Thanks so much Jean.
I do think that we need to have a greater appreciation for the non-nutritional aspects of breastfeeding, adoptive breastfeeding just provides a model forlooking at the impact that breastfeeding can have. Looking at the extreme circumstances (like we learn from kangaroo care with premmies) helps us to understand the more subtle manifestations in "normal" situations. I think we are going to learn more and more how breastfeeding can assist vulnerable dyads like in cases of adoption but also where there is intergenerational relationship trauma for eg. 
On the subject of adoptive breastfeeding. I still have the older adoptive breastfeeding study running...it's been over 4 years now that Darillyn and I have been collecting surveys and it would be lovely to finish that this year so if any of you have contact with women who have attempted to breastfeed a child 4 months or older at placement (whether successfully or not) please pass on my email address to them, I would love more participants in the study.
Karleen Gribble
Australia
PS. off topic here but I know we have a lot of midwives on the list that might be interested in the slideshow on brachial plexus injury at http://www.injurednewborn.com/bpivideo/manyfaces.wmv, my daughter has a moderately severe BPI.

----- Original Message ----- 
  To: Lactnet, Messages 
  Cc: [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask] 
  Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:36 AM
  Subject: Karleens's new article

Karleen, I am deeply impressed and moved by your article, and I recommend it to anyone who wants a more in-depth understanding of the emotiional importance of breastfeeding in general, as well as particularly in adoptive situations. Your references are stellar in supporting your conclusions. 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2