Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:39:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
I also see lots of pump abusing moms such as the ones that Pam Hirch describes for similar 
reasons.  It is so strange to me that women would willingly put themselves on the path of huge 
amounts of unecessary pumping when I have so many others with low supply that really do it only 
because they want to be able to breastfeed and would love to dump the pumping as soon as 
possible.  I probably don't understand it because I tend towards laziness whenever possible 
myself.  Why work harder when you don't have to?      

Is it hoarding behavior that creates the urge to have the freezer full of milk?  I can't tell you how 
many heartbroken women called when we had the blackout in New York two years ago about the 
freezer of milk that was defrosting.

I'm wondering about some differences between her population and my population of moms.  I see 
more plugged ducts and blebs in my pump abusers than mastitis.  Most of the mastitis cases I see 
started with cracked nipples and a baby that was not draining the breast well (with or without 
pumping).  In fact, I can't think of a pump-abuser in the last year that did develop mastitis.  Is it 
the Christina Smillie/Mona Gabbay  drain em dry approach?  Is it just random chance of exposure 
in the hospital to nasty bugs?  And maybe this has been a good year in Manhattan hospitals and 
the nasty bugs are under control unlike two years ago when every woman I saw seemed to have 
nipples rotting off from staph if she had the least bit of nipple cracking?  Is there some other 
differences between our moms?

I would love to have the wealth of a Bill Gates to dispense to answer the questions that we still 
have about how to enable more women to breastfeed comfortably and successfully.  Seems to me 
if he could dispense enough money for Rx for Survival currently showing on PBS that features 
some of the many interventions that prevent child death, that he could also be persuaded to take 
on the one intervention proven to have at least as much if not more impact on child survival than 
those featured on the PBS show.

Best regards, Susan Burger.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2