Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:44:23 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hello Friends,
I am working with a mother who is at the end of her rope and would like me to post.
Baby was born at 32 weeks and in the NICU for 6 weeks.  During that time he was held in Kangaroo care for a few hours a day, received only his mother's ebm BUT put to breast very briefly a few times.  Mother brought the baby home at 2 kilos and bottle feeding ebm.  Unfortunately, the mother's in laws chose that time to visit for a few weeks and expected to be treated as guests.  The overwhelmed new mother did not try breastfeeding until they left. It was October before the mother called an LC to help her.  Baby started going to breast briefly with nipple shield but still ate primarily ebm. Over time the baby became more reluctant to latch at all.  When I got there, baby then 4 months old, he didn't want anything to do with the breast.  He did latch on momentarily without sheild but mostly screamed at the breast even after eating from the bottle. Finally he went on in a football hold, with the sheild, with milk being dripped on to the sheild and mother compressing until MER started, sucked well for a few minutes and came off asleep.  
Since then mom is holding the baby skin to skin several hours a day.  She is trying to put him to breast before he gets too hungry, when he's still sleepy and during playtime and baby screams every time.  The mother is overwhelmed with the pumping and the feeding and her successfully breastfeeding neighbors saying - what, you're still pumping!?!, like she's crazy.  She believed me when I told her that it's never too late for the baby to start but it will be too late for her soon if she doesn't see any improvement.  If anyone has any advice on how to get this baby to the breast, please share it with us.
Thankyou so much,
Chayn Nancy Fogelman IBCLC Israel

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2