Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:57:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Dear all:

I took a brief glance (not enough for an in-depth assessment) at the UNICEF website and it looks like 
(as I would expect) that they are mobilizing a major effort in Niger.  For any of you who decide to 
donate to UNICEF (or any other organization for that matter) you have an excellent opportunity to 
reinforce the importance of breastfeeding in such dire circumstances.  You can use UNICEF's 
statistics on exclusive breastfeeding rate of 1% to point out that any immediate assistance should be 
coupled with adherance to the standards for infant feeding during emergencies to encourage 
bresatfeeding and point out that the mortality rates are even greater in famine conditions among 
those infants who are not exclusively breastfed.  This would support Miriam Labbok's important work 
on breastfeeding in UNICEF.  Sometime within organizations, it is much easier to look at the 
immediate fix of the donated food rations, or the medicines or the capsules ---- a product --- than 
the actions that will have a more last effect.  

I'm going to email some friends in the field to get the inner scoup on what are the curent programs 
in Niger since it has been a good 6 years since I stopped going back and forth and my info is out of 
date.

Best, Susan Burger

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2