Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 21:58:14 -0400
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Dear all:

Today at least was a good day in the sense that I saw a mom who had been pumping 2-3x/day
getting 1 oz each time and her baby was on the breast for 45 minutes and downing 3 oz of
formual after that.  I verified that the baby was only taking 0.2 oz after 45 minutes trying every
trick in the book to stimualte him to swallow.  This mom amazingly got up to full supply in a day
or two with 6x/day pumping.  I had left instructions and shown mom how to do paced upright
bottle feeding after the baby was no longer feeding at the breast.  The baby nurse was excellent,
one of those who can get the baby fully upright in the crook of her arm and was using the
technique already.  Dad was doing the night feedings so he asked, well if the baby is fed upright
for bottle feeding, how about the breast.  So mom tried.  In those few days of pumping, mom went
from pumping 3 oz and change in a 24 hour period to pumping 4 oz after feeds on the breast.
The poor little guy went from taking nothing from the breast to having to cope with an overflow in
the space of less than a week.  Dad's idea of upright feeding at the breast worked perfectly for
him because he could cope with what had become a rapid flow.  All I had to do was change the
angle of the baby's neck just a tad and weigh the baby before and after the feeding to verify what
was already clear - he was doing just fine.

Then, I had the most bizzare situation ever.  One of my moms who is struggling with low supply
was given a session with a "baby sleep trainer" from a friend.  Her baby is less than one month
old.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  Or is this one of those only in Manhattan scenarios where you
can get trainers for everything.  Fortunately, mom wasn't comfortable with the ideas dispensed by
this trainer.  Any ideas on what background such a person would have to even pass themself off
as a "baby sleep trainer"?

Best, Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2