Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 18:53:06 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
About 25 years ago I had a problem with my son starting at 7 months. He had been on solid food for one month and had turned into a colicky baby. I went from doctor to doctor and allergist to allergist. They all told me he was spoiled. Finally I went to Dr. Vincent Marinkovich who had a private practice in allergy and who was a Harvard Graduate and a clinical associate prfessor of pediatricts at Standford. He has a practice still in Redwood City, CA. I recently typed in his name to do a search and had a lot of hits. He was then extremely supportive of breastfeeding ( His wife relactated to nurse an adopted baby) and through allergy testing when my son was 9 months old discovered the problem foods. He did believe in testing for young babies, I can not remember the age, but my son was not the youngest that he tested. As I was nursing my son,  I had to eat the same foods as my son.  His diet was my diet. The most important thing that DR. M. told me is that What is one man's food is another mans poison. I had already tried the rice, lamb etc diet. My son turned out to be allergic to all ,except the potatoes! Dr Marinkovich approach was if the child was allergic to one food in a family then most of the foods in the family would bother the child. Food families are different than food groups. Also I agree with Katherinen in atl that it is best to eat foods never eaten.  Dr Marinkovich also stated to me that it takes about 1 to 2 weeks for the gut to heal after all the irritation.  After about 3 months, I reintroduced foods slowly into my diet.When I could eat what I wanted, I then started to introduce foods into my son's diet.  The last food that I added to my sons diet ,when he was 6 years old, was cow"s milk. I nursed him until he was 4 years old. He has a few food allergies now...he is 25 but he is no way limited by them. It took 6 years for him to leave his limited diet. Dr. Marinkovich also was very interested in yeast over growth a number of years ago.  The hits I got on his name were linked to several of those issues.  I recently heard a theory on Dr. Phil that yeast over growth might be a contributor to colic. Hope this helps. There are doctors who know about these issues and who have devoted their lives to them, but one needs to find them. That is the hard part. 
Camille Edmunds

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2