Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:26:57 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
My name is David Wangler, and I am a junior nursing student attending the University of North Dakota.  I am currently enrolled in a childbearing class, and will soon be working in the OB setting for clinicals.  I joined this listserv a few weeks ago to learn more about breastfeeding in hopes of it helping me in the clinical setting.

Often women who have undergone breast reduction surgery have additional questions that pertain to their surgery and feeding their child.  Engstrom and Fridlund (2000) found that there was a need for someone to listen and counsel a breast reduced mother in order for a positive outcome.  In addition Hurst (2003) stated that all women planning to breastfeed their infants should be screened for breast surgery through an extensive series of questions regarding their type of surgery, any complications, type of incision, and any previous breastfeeding experience.

Also, Souto, Giugliani, Giugliani, and Schneider (2003) found that women who underwent reduction mammoplasty had a significantly shorter time of breastfeeding duration.  The prevalence of exclusive breastfeeding at 1 and 4 months for women with the surgery was found to be 21% and 4% respectively.  This contrasts when compared to women who did not have the surgery as their rate was 70% and 22% respectively.

My questions are as follows:  Do you give any additional breastfeeding education to women who have had a breast reduction surgery?  Do your client’s who have had a breast reduction have a shorter breastfeeding compliance compared to your client’s that have not had the surgery?  Thank you in advance for any information, it is greatly appreciated.

David Wangler, SN
University of North Dakota

References:
Engstrom, B. L., & Fridlund, B. (2000).  Women’s views of counseling received in 
            connection with breast-feeding after reduction mammoplasty.  Journal of Advanced Nursing, 32(5), 1143-1151.
Hurst, Nancy (2003).  Breastfeeding after breast augmentation.  Journal of Human Lactation, 19(1), 70-71.
Souto, G. C., Giugliani, E. R.J., Giugliani, M., & Schneider, M.A. (2003).  The impact of 
            breast reduction surgery on breastfeeding performance.  Journal of Human Lactation, 19(1), 43-49.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2