Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:11:19 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
I’ve some reservations about the suggestion that breastfeeding advocates approach filmmaker Michael Moore regarding a film he may be making about pharmaceutical companies.

According to psychologist Kevin Hogan, there is research showing that people tend not to believe extreme statements, especially that someone is all good or all bad.  Although Michael Moore may energize those who agree with him,  he may also create a sympathetic rebound for the people he targets because his condemnation is so one sided.

We, as breastfeeding advocates, may have some of the same credibility problem if we are perceived as not seeing any benefit to bottles and formulas nor any drawbacks to breastfeeding.  Since I became aware of this, I’ve rehearsed statements such as, “Formulas certainly have improved a great deal since I had my children in the 60’s.  Researchers keep on working to identify and replicate the factors unique to human milk, such as the DHA and ARA recently added.  But, you know me, I would prefer to seem the same effort put into getting human milk for every baby, which I see as much more do-able than those who are not familiar with lactation might suppose.”  Or “Some babies, such as those with low muscle tone, have a really difficult time breastfeeding and suckling vigorously enough to establish a good milk supply.  It takes a good deal of skillful support to maintain the benefits of breastfeeding for these dyads.”

Research apparently also shows that people have an innate understanding of projection.  Someone who says that most people cheat and lie, will  be perceived as doing so himself.  Someone who states that most people are good hearted and mean well will be perceived as warmhearted.  There is a nastiness in Michael Moores’ attacks that we would not want to stick to us.  A measured evaluation of pharmaceutical companies that credits their achievements as well as charting their shortcomings is likely to serve us better than a blanket condemnation.

Incidentally, Hogan predicted Bush’s victory last Nov. due to the factors mentioned above.  His articles about these things may still be available on his website, possibly under the heading of ‘influence’. 

Alice Martino Roddy

>  short article in today's (12/27) Washington Post Style 
> section about how the filmmaker Michael Moore is 
> making many pharmaceutical companies *very             
> nervous* about a film he is making called "Sicko"......... 
> companies supposedly are on the lookout for Moore to  
> try to interview employees about company policy 
> and practice.

> ........those of you knowledgeable on this issue, like       
> Marsha W and Valerie, might consider contacting the   
> filmmaker.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2