text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Linda posted:

<This is actually a question for Jean Cotterman - do you know if your
technique for RPS has been translated into German?  I thought I read
that it had been; if not, I just may have to ask permission to do it
myself.  Thanks for the info.>

Yes, Linda, the original short article has been translated into German. To my knowledge, my newest, simpler instruction sheet for parents has not yet been translated into any other languages yet. (Both this sheet and the original short article appear in the 2004 ILCA syllabus and may be used by anyone as long as my original words and credit for my authorship and credit for my grandson's diagrams are retained.) Please note, I do not hold the copyrights to the longer articles. LLL holds the copyright to the Leaven article and Sage publishing holds the copyright for the JHL article. Any requests for translation of those would have to be directed to the appropriate authorities there.

I am soon going to be returning home from vacation where my files are, and can send you info on who translated the short article into German, if you haven't already received it by the time I get back.

BTW, I am trying to keep track faithfully, but I may be forgetting some languages without my files here to help me. I am eternally grateful for Lactnet and the opportunity for information exchanges, which originally gave me my "15 minutes of fame" and helped me "gestate and birth my conception". Private feedback (positive, as well as negative, and questions, which I continue to welcome!), and encouragement from the many lactnetters who have shared their experiences with me has been instrumental during the development of the concept in my mind, and its further dissemination. 

So far, the short article appears in English on several sites on the web, with diagrams. (Kellymom.com has both English and Swedish, plus another longer article from Leaven.) My disclaimer says, "Permission is hereby given to reproduce and distribute this article as long as the original wording and my authorship are retained. You may contact me at: [log in to unmask]" I am delighted to extend this to translations into any language also, as it is my goal to give freely to as many mothers (and professionals) as possible so the benefit from my insights on this simple practical tool will become common knowledge all over the world, and eventually, within many disciplines.

This short article has been translated not only into German, but also into Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, French, Hebrew, some in publications, some on the web. I believe someone contacted me about an African language several years ago, but I didn't keep a record and cannot remember which it was. I have not heard whether the Italian translation has been completed yet. Spanish is still in process, but since there are many national versions of the Spanish language, I want to make sure the final translation will be clear to Spanish-speaking people all over the world. I would hope that the Spanish translation might eventually be placed on some interested website.

I have made some initial inquiries into it's being eventually translated into Portuguese, Japanese and Chinese as well, and would be interested in any other language which professionals would feel would be helpful, especially in locations where "western" obstetrical practice has spread, often bringing with it, iatrogenic edema. I hope I will be notified and sent a copy of any translations in any language for my files, so that I can refer others to the correct sources.

I do not, of course, claim to "own" the concept of pitting edema. Many people have been pressing on areolas in some manner since the beginning of the human race, especially in the last 5-6 decades. But I have worked long and hard to organize as clearly as I can all the insights I have gained from studying research in several other disciplines, especially modern obstetrical management. I distilled the most effective finger patterns I have personally tested to apply positive pressure to edema in the areola, and others have developed other patterns. There are also other benefits from RPS beyond the effect on edema itself, some of which are helpful well after engorgement is gone.          

Thanks for your interest and inquiry.

Jean
K. Jean Cotterman RNC, IBCLC
Dayton, OH USA 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2