Content-type:
text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
MIME-Version:
Reply-To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Dear Lactnet Friends,

As a professional, when I am asked about whether birth control is safe while breastfeeding, my primary concern lies with its impact on mom's supply.  This appears to be the focus of the posts concerning hormones in the archives as well.  We all recognize that breastmilk with minimal tainting of hormones is far superior to the alternative.  However, now as the donor of milk considering birth control options, I am concerned if another donor's milk would be superior to my own and whether some, if not all of my recipients, might seek milk from another donor for this reason.

Primarily I am concerned with my cancer recipients.  One is dying of ovarian cancer and another has spinal cancer, although the second has also suffered cervical and breast cancer in the past.  How great of an impact will my milk create for those with estrogen-fed cancers?  Additionally, how will hormones in my milk affect a young girl with special needs exclusively fed my milk?  How about a grown man with paraplegia suffering from various short-term sicknesses?

I am interested both in understanding the risks these hormones might play and which birth control options would provide the very best protection against ovulation, while impacting my recipients the least.  Any evidence, opinions, theories, speculations... you might be able to direct me towards would be greatly appreciated.

Homesick,
Penny Lane RN, BA, IBCLC
Maternal & Child Health: Lactation Consulting
Believe - Birth & Breastfeeding Resources
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2