Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:48:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
My name is Haley Swanson and I am a junior nursing student at the University of North Dakota.  I have chosen to join the Lactnet listserv because I am interested in becoming an OB nurse and I am also interested in becoming a lactation consultant.  I recently came across some information regarding the long-term benefits of breastfeeding related to cardiovascular disease.
According to Roberts (2001), the consumption of formula by infants instead of human milk increases the diastolic and mean arterial blood pressure later in life. A study was conducted in which the blood pressures of teenagers, 13-16 yrs old (who were initially premature) were measured.  They were assigned to different diets for the period of their hospital stay at birth (which on average was 30 days because they were premature). It was found that infants who were assigned to the donor human milk had lower diastolic and mean arterial pressures than those teens who were given preterm infant formula as a neonate. 
Also, Owen, Whincup, Odoki, Gilg, & Cook (2002) suggest that breastfeeding may cause increased mean total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein levels in infancy, but later in life the levels are decreased.
Then I came across an article by Wingard et. al (1994) that stated that studies in children and young adults indicate that long-term differences in serum cholesterol levels between breast-fed and bottle-fed infants are small and inconsistent.

· Does breastfeeding decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease, and do you educate parents about these benefits? 
· Have you come across any information about negative effects regarding breastfeeding and cardiovascular health?

This topic is interesting since heart disease is so prevalent in our society. Wouldn't it be interesting to find out that we can prevent such diseases right from birth? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Haley Swanson, SN
University of North Dakota

Owen, C., Whincup, P., Odoki, K., Gilg, J., & Cook, D. (2002).Infant Feeding and Blood Cholesterol: A Study in Adolescents and a Systematic Review.Pediatrics, 110, 597-608.
Roberts, S. (2001).Prevention of hypertension in adulthood by breastfeeding.The Lancet, 357(9254), 406-407.
Wingard, D., Criqui, M., Edelstien, S., Tucker, J., Tomlinson-Keasey, C., Schwartz, J., & Friedman, H. (1994). Is Breastfeeding in Infancy Associated with Adult Longevity? American Journal of Public Health, 84(9), 1458-1462.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2