Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 03:54:30 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Robin

I agree with you completely.  I sat the exam last year mostly due to a wonderful mentor who was the only one who was willing to take me on as a student LC.

I had so many rejections, like you, when I first was looking for a mentor, I had almost given up on finding one.  It was by chance that I found a mentor and she and I now work together in her private practice.

I am trying to set up opportunities for other students to intern with us, the hardest thing with a private practice is that it is hit or miss with consults, we have slow weeks and horrid crazy weeks.  That makes it hard for some students who are limited in time slots.

There needs to be a better path for aspiring LC's especially those that are not nurses, the field is changing and we do need more good LC's with solid skills, those come from guided practice and learning.  If we are not willing to share with the next generation our skills will be lost.

I'm happy to share with you off list what I did and what I am doing to help the students I am working with.

Catherine Warren, IBCLCBoard Certified Lactation Consultant Lactation Consultants of Atlanta, Inc.1950 Spectrum Circle ~ Suite 400 ~ Marietta, GA 30067
Phone 678-921-2838  Fax 678-921-2839 www.breastfeedingatlanta.com ~ www.thepumpexpress.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2