Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:37:14 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
""I think one reason people think goat's milk might be better for human babies than cow's is the quality of the milkfat in goat's milk. It is finer in structure than cow's milk and doesn't split as easy from the watery part (I think that's why we don't see goat's butter). Perhaps people think babies will have less problems digesting that.""

That is true.  If you let a glass bottle of raw goat's milk stand for 12 hours or more and hold it up to the light, you will be able to see that the top looks somewhat richer than the bottom, but it does not separate into a definite layer of cream on top,  like cow's milk.  That makes it difficult to control the fat content in an infant formula based on it.  When Julia was still very underweight, I sometimes put the milk in a tall container with a small neck and boosted it up in the fridge, upside down, and then carefully opened the cap and let some of the milk from the bottom drain out, before shaking up the rest.  Joseph was such a little pudge that I didn't worry about it with him.  The milk I produced for him was very rich.  I wondered if the gallons of strong fenugreek tea that I drank with him increased the fat content of the milk.

Darillyn

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2