Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 00:54:22 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
This is my first message on lactnet, I am a LLL Leader in France and have been IBCLC since 2003.
A mother contacted me for her baby who has a Pierre Robin Sequence. The baby is 4 month old and has been fed with a nasal tube until now. The professional health care team considers that 4 month is a good time to begin oral meals with a spoon and the mother is asked to add a product to thicken her milk to avoid "wrong deglutitions" (I do not know the term for "fausse route" when milk is sent to lungs, sorry). The products for thickening the milk are not efficient, or the baby get terribly fussy.
I am trying to explain to the mother that the improvement of the succion may surely be very progressive and that it could be wiser to keep feeding partially the baby with the nasal tube and give very little quantities with a haberman bottle but I have very few data on the subject.
Laure Marchand-Lucas, IBCLC in France, mentioned an article of Beaujat (or Baujat), published in 2001 in JPGM (not sure) who showed how progressive are improvements in succion for such babies. 
Should anyone know this article and could send it to me ? That would be great ! 
I am interested by all comments concerning Pierre Robin sequence ou cleft palate problems concerning the way of feeding the baby before the surgery.
Thank you very much in advance
Danièle Bruguières, France

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2