Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 07:50:55 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I want to share with the general lactation community at large a little of our story in Austin, TX.

http://tinylink.com/?jSSDIfzGzY 

I work for the Seton Healthcare Network, which has 4 of the 6 major hospitals in Austin.  Seton is part of the Ascension Health network, so other hospitals in this country may see a similar trend.

Essentially, all Lactation Consultants were laid off except 4.  I was one of the survivors.  My hospital used to have 2 LC's each day, serving mothers on 2 floors.  Now there is one.  The community hospital, Brackenridge, closed its Lactation department entirely, leaving only 2 part time LC's who work in the NICU and Children's Hospital.    This leaves the most vulnerable population without breastfeeding support at all.

The doctors and nurses are outraged and spitting fire.  The mothers who have been told they can't be seen are very saddened.

The LC's were told they could apply for other positions in the hospital that are available (I'm assuming positions in medical records, or food services or such).  This devalues their training and their skill.

I am heartsick, as is the entire breastfeeding community in Austin.  I'm asking for your hugs and positive thoughts of action that will help us through this.  I truly hope others will be prepared to mobilize if this takes place in your community.

Jeanne Mitchell
Austin, TX

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2