Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:53:40 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been off Lactnet for some time.  So I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this news item from Saturday's BMJ.  The short item reports that British film censors have axed the glimpse of a real human nipple in a breastfeeding situation, in a cinema ad promoting voting in the EU elections.
No matter where it happens, this sort of action perpetrates the lack of role models of breastfeeding, and the perceived barrier low-income mothers in particular see to breastfeeding - that they "can't" breastfeed when not at home.  I don't need to remind Lactnetters that what is needed is more images of woman breastfeeding, in the most matter-of-fact of ways, not fewer images.
   I live for the day when the act of breastfeeding - whether a breastfeeding mother and baby, or a media image - doesn't rate any attention as it is seen as so normal.  When that happens, people will simply admire the baby or chat with the mother, and not go, (shock-horror) there's a nipple!
   On a slightly different tack - it's worth remembering that BF promotion pictures with very bare mothers aren't going to recruit low-income or unconfident women to breastfeed their babies.  The unintended message is that to BF one has to be bare, which may not be culturally acceptable. (This has been said before, but is worth saying again.)  Pictures of Mums breastfeeding discreetly in a variety of situations must be worth their weight in gold!
  Cheers.
   Virginia
    in Brisbane, QLD, Australia

PS.  I've been out almost every day, revelling in walking briskly everywhere in our lovely weather. Now I'm playing catch-up this weekend!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2