Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:11:53 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I had an interesting conversation with my son, Allan, who is just starting college in the fall, and is considering going into Anthropology.  I tried to paraphrase Kathy Dettwyler"s story about being asked by an African woman why the Americans who visited the area would cover their breasts, at the hotel pool, but then show their entire thigh.  Kathy tried to explain to her that Americans say breasts as sexual, which the women couldn't fathom.  After Kathy elaborated on some of the sexual practices in the USA, the woman had asked, "Do you mean that American men like to pretend to be babies?".  (Is that accurate, Kathy?)

I think we are getting more absurd all the time, with the loosening of standards about everything but female nipples!  Male nipples are OK for display, even on an overweight man whose breasts look like a woman's. There are shows about people born women, who have themselves surgical turned into men, where radical breast reduction surgery is performed where, before the surgery is completed, the nipples are obscured, but they are then considered acceptable to be shown after they have been declared to be male breasts.  I have even seen something where one wild college girl was in the process of putting her mouth on another girl's breast, where the girl's nipples were obscured until covered with the other girl's mouth.  It makes no sense at all.  

Darillyn Starr
Adoptive breastfeeding mother of six
Counseling adoptive moms since 1989

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2